White Oak Cottages is proud to announce that it has received an Award of Excellence from the Assisted Living Federation of America for its innovative design. The Federation praised White Oak Cottages for the abundance of natural light, use of colors, bay windows, and the therapeutic gardens, all of which enhance and support the Green House model.
The cottages were planned to meet the specific needs of the memory impaired. The design is warm, technologically smart, and supportive of The Green House staffing model and philosophy of care. Each cottage has a living room, dining room, kitchen, den, enclosed garden, and 12 private bedrooms and bathrooms. Its layout offers Residents a combination of privacy and the opportunity for engagement.
Many elements within each cottage support Residents with memory loss, allowing them to achieve maximum functioning and independence:
- There are no long hallways or elevators. All bedrooms are just off the common living area, making it easier for Residents to move independently within the home.
- The cottage is flooded with natural light from the banks of windows in the living areas, the bay windows in each bedroom and the five skylights. Electrical lighting design ensures ample lighting at night as well.
- An enclosed garden and terrace allows Residents to enjoy nature and go outside freely in good weather.
- The staff paging system uses text messages, not bells or lights, to maintain a peaceful atmosphere.
- The fabrics, artwork, and color schemes account for the visual and spatial deficits of those with dementia, and provide gentle cueing.
- The interior and garden areas have circular traffic patterns to allow Residents to wander without the need for staff redirection.
For more information or to arrange for a tour of the cottages, contact us.